Broccoli Cheddar Mac & Cheese
Ok ok ok..this is technically not “mac” (macaroni) and cheese. It’s RAD (radiatore) and cheese. And it’s RAD AF.
You can use any sturdy noodle here…I chose radiatore because, well, I found it at a grocery store and thought it was 1) really cool and 2) would hold a creamy cheese sauce well in its little crevices. There’s truly no important reason why I chose this pasta aside from those two factors. I think macaroni, rigatoni mezze, rigatoni, lumache, pumpkin shaped pasta or shells would also go well here.
This recipe is really straight forward. I like to let the cheese shine and I don’t really season with anything other than salt and pepper. However, if you love to serve up heavily seasoned mac n cheese (power to you) you can 100% add garlic powder, paprika, chili powder, onion powder, mustard powder and any other seasonings that you like.
View this post on Instagram
Broccoli Cheddar Mac n' Cheese
- Stock pot
- Oven safe 4.5-5 qt saute pan or skillet
- 4 cups broccoli florets chopped into 1-inch florets (this is approx 1 average sized head of broccoli that you can chop on your own)
- 2 tbsp diamond kosher salt if using another brand, use 2 tsp plus a little extra for seasoning
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup diced white onion
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 4 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- 2 oz. room temperature softened cream cheese
- 5 cups shredded sharp cheddar 4 cups for incorporating into sauce, 1 cup for topping
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 lb. pasta of your choice
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Bring a large stock pot of water to a boil. Add 1 tbsp of kosher salt. Blanch the broccoli by submerging the florets into the boiled water for 1 minute. Remove the broccoli and place the florets into an ice bath or under running cold water. Set the broccoli aside. Keep the pot of water on the stove and reduce to a simmer.
- Add the unsalted butter to a large oven safe sauté pan. Melt over medium heat. Add the onion. Season with a generous pinch of salt and cook until tender and translucent, about 5-7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Bring the pot of water (from the blanching) to a boil.
- As that water is coming to a boil, return to your sauce. Add the flour and whisk until it's absorbed by the butter (this is your roux.) Keep whisking until it's a light golden color, about 1-2 minutes. Slowly add the milk, whisking, until it thickens. Whisk in the cream cheese and 4 cups of shredded cheddar cheese. Once the cheese is melted, taste the cheese sauce to ensure the seasoning is on point. If it's not, add salt, pepper or any other seasonings accordingly. Reduce the heat to simmer.
- Return to the pot of boiling water and add the pasta. Cook until 1 minute before al dente.
- Preheat the broiler on high.
- Transfer the pasta to the cheese sauce. Mix until combined. Transfer the broccoli to the pasta and cheese sauce mixture, then stir it in until evenly incorporated. Top with remaining 1 cup of cheddar cheese and bread crumbs. Finish it off with some cracks of black pepper, if preferred. Broil on high until the cheese on top is golden brown, about 1-3 minutes. Stand close by and keep an eye on it to ensure nothing burns!
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately!