Air-Fried (or Baked) Cronuts with Raspberry Glaze
Imagine a doughnut and a croissant get married and make genetically perfect babies….Enter the cronut: Dominique Ansel’s hybrid invention that went totally viral on food Instagrams everywhere back in 2014. To be honest, I don’t feel like spending 7 hours in LINE at Dominique Ansel Bakery in NYC to get a cronut (there’s still a wait up to this day which is wild.) So, that’s why I made these homemade “cronuts” with a super easy raspberry glaze.
Homemade dough is a labor of love, whether it’s croissant dough or puff pastry, which I use for this recipe. I’m not a professional pastry chef, so I am leaving the dough to the professionals for this recipe. All you need is some thawed puff pastry sheets- I used DuFour Puff Pastry, you can find it on Amazon or at Whole Foods! You also need a mason jar, drinking glass or biscuit cutter to cut the dough into circles, an air fryer or oven (anything you can do in an air fryer, you can do in an oven!), powdered sugar, and some raspberry jam. The whole process takes 30 minutes or less and you’ll be enjoying warm, flaky cronuts. If you’re a visual learner like me, feel free to check out the reel I posted on Instagram for a quick 30 second tutorial on how to make these!!
View this post on Instagram
Here are just a few occasions where cronuts will absolutely slay. Showing up with a plate of cronuts is a sure fire way to make friends (speaking from experience!) Breakfast with friends. Neighborhood BBQ or gathering. Baby shower. Bridal shower. Birthday party. Self soothing Sunday morning where you need something sweet and delicious. Literally any time that you’re craving something easy and delicious – you can just make one at a time!
Air Fried Cronuts with Raspberry Glaze
- Air Fryer (optional, you can also bake in an oven!)
- 1 sheet of puff pastry thawed but still firm. If your pack comes with 2 sheets, thaw both of them and follow the instructions accordingly.
- 1/2 cup seedless raspberry jam *or your favorite seedless jam
- 2 tbsp hot water + extra
- 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar plus more if necessary for texture
- freeze dried raspberries for garnish optional
For the cronuts:
- Unroll a sheet of puff pastry on a flat surface and allow it to thaw until chilled, firm and pliable (about 15-20 min.) Keep an eye on it because you don't want it to over thaw and become too soft/breakable.
- Use the top of a mason jar, drinking glass or biscuit cutter to cut the dough into 12 circles.
- Stack 3 of the circles on top of each other and use your hands or a rolling pin to gently press them together and seal the edges to form a thicker piece of dough. Be careful not to flatten the dough too much, just seal the circles together to create one thick piece of dough, so it doesn't separate when baking!
- Use a small knife to cut a hole out of the center of the dough. Cinch the edges around the hole to make sure the layers don't separate. You can keep the small pieces and air-fry the "cronut holes" if you want.
- Air fry the dough at 360 degrees for 15-20 minutes, until the cronuts are golden brown and flaky. You can also bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes, or follow the instructioins on the puff pastry box. NOTE: If you have a convection option on your oven, use that to mimic an air fryer!
For the raspberry glaze:
- In a bowl, combine the jam with the hot water and whisk until smooth, until there are no gelatinous clumps. If the jam is still clumpy, add a little more hot water and keep whisking. It should still be thick and jammy (not watery,) but smooth.
- Whisk in the powdered sugar a little at a time, until the icing is thoroughly combined and smooth.
- If the jam glaze is too thick, stir in a little water or milk until it reaches the desired consistency. If the jam is too thin, add more powdered sugar until you reach the consistency of your dreams.
- Dip each cronut into the glaze, then spin the cronut to get the top fully coated and prevent the glaze from dripping down the sides. Place on a plate and top with freeze dried raspberries, sprinkles or another freeze dried fruit of your choice. Enjoy!