Vegan Kale Caesar Salad with Tempeh, Cherry Tomatoes, Shallots and Avocado
Fresh kale tossed in my vegan caesar dressing and topped with cherry tomatoes, finely chopped shallots, cubed avocado and seared tempeh. This is a vegan re-make of the sweetgreen classic kale caesar salad!
- 1/4 cup vegan caesar dressing *from the recipe above
- 4 cups kale washed and torn into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes sliced
- 1-2 ripe avocados cubed (you can use 1 avocado per person or 1/2 avocado per person. It's up to you)
- 1/2 shallot finely chopped
- 12 1/2-inch thick slices tempeh *6 per person
- Olive oil for pan
Lay the tempeh on a paper towel. Dry it off on both sides and season with salt and pepper.
Heat a skillet over medium high heat and season it with olive oil.
Once the oil is shimmering, add the tempeh to the skillet, making sure not to over crowd the pan. Sear each side for 3-4 minutes, until golden brown and then flip. If working in batches, repeat until all the tempeh is cooked.
Remove the cooked tempeh from the heat and set aside.
In a large bowl, toss together the kale, tomatoes and shallots. Add the dressing to the bowl and toss until the greens are fully coated in the dressing.
Plate the salad and top with avocado and tempeh. Feel free to add another drizzle of dressing on top. Serve immediately and enjoy!