Spinach & Shrimp Salad with Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette
I have come to debunk the common myth that salads are sad dish choices. Salads can be delicious and exciting — I promise you! And this spinach salad with seared garlic shrimp, red onion, cherry tomatoes, cannellini beans and a cilantro garlic lime dressing, is a prime example of a salad that’s anything but sad. This salad is happy and exciting.
If you are allergic to shellfish or don’t like seafood, you can skip the protein, or sub with a protein of your choice. The magic with this recipe is really the dressing — it’s refreshing and makes your mouth water even more with every bite. I will eat spinach everyday if it is covered in this dressing. No problem.
Fun fact: you don’t necessarily need to have vinegar in a dressing to make it a vinaigrette. It’s really any dressing that contains an acid. Limes are acidic and lemons are acidic, so even if there is no vinegar, you can still feel fancy and call this a vinaigrette if you want. 🙂
Spinach & Shrimp Salad with Cilantro Garlic Lime Dressing
- 1 box pre-washed organic spinach
- 1/4 red onion sliced
- 10 sweet cherry tomatoes halved
- 16 raw frozen shrimp thawed
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp Feta cheese crumbled
Cilantro Garlic Lime Vinaigrette
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 lime juiced
- 2 cloves garlic *you can add more if you love garlic
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp water *optional, to thin out dressing
- If you are using frozen shrimp, pour in a bowl with cold water to thaw. Put the bowl aside while you prepare your salad.
- In a food processor, combine all the ingredients for the cilantro garlic lime dressing. Purée until smooth, or desired consistency.
- In a salad bowl, combine spinach, cannellini beans, red onion and cherry tomatoes. Toss the salad until the ingredients are evenly distributed, then set aside.
- Peel and devein your shrimp and set aside.
- Season a skillet with olive oil over medium heat. After the oil is warm (about 2 minutes,) add garlic. Let the garlic cook until fragrant.
- Add the shrimp to the skillet and sear for 2 minutes on each side.
- Plate the salad. Add shrimp on top. Pour dressing over the salad and top with feta cheese, if desired.