Parsnip Fries with Light Homemade Ranch
It’s fall, it’s football season, and it’s bulking season. That’s why I came up with this fall-inspired French fry recipe, with a side of homemade ranch. I decided to lighten up this version with a Greek yogurt base and some light vegan mayo to drive the creaminess home. Typically, ranch has a mayo base, so this was a happy medium to meet in the middle and still maintain that creamy texture and flavor. If you are vegan, you can use all vegan mayo, and nix the Greek yogurt.
And to dip in the ranch, I decided to serve up some easy parsnip fries. Parsnips are like a potato and a carrot had a baby… they are sweet like carrots, but they look like potatoes and have a hint of starchiness. I think either version of these ranch recipes works well with the Parsnip fries because it really cuts the sweetness and adds a savory, mouthwatering element.
Parsnip Fries with Light Ranch
- 2 large parsnips peeled and cut into strips
- 1 tbsp Olive oil for coating
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp scallions chopped
Light Ranch Dressing
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp parsley
- 1/4 tsp shallots minced
- 2 tbsp chives dried or fresh, minced
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt non-fat
- 1 1/2 tbsp light vegan mayo
- 2 tbsp water
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- In a bowl, toss the parsnip slices with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast for 8-10 minutes, until the browned on one side. Flip and roast for another 8-12 minutes. (The time depends on your oven and how thinly sliced the parsnips are. 10 minutes is a safe medium.)
- While the parsnips roast, prepare the dressing. In a food processor, combine all dressing ingredients and blend for desired consistency. If you like chunkier garlic in the dressing, pulse the food processor. If you like a purée dressing with fully incorporated ingredients , blend until smooth.
- Pour the dressing into a jar or bowl, and set aside.
- Plate the parsnip fries and top with chopped scallions. Serve with dressing.