Milk Bar Chickpea Cake Truffles (Gluten-Free & Vegan)
For those who don’t know, Milk Bar is bakery chain stemming from the Momofuku family, with locations in New York, D.C., Boston, Vegas, LA and even Toronto. They’re known for unique treats like ice cream made from the milk left at the bottom of your cereal bowl, buttery ‘“crack pie”, aaaand my personal favorite birthday cake truffles. Even though I love these truffles as is, I wanted to #SkylerSwap for a more nutritional alternative.
We did a lot of swapping here. You can tell these are healthy, but when you realize you’re eating chickpeas and it tastes this good, you begin to love the alternative version. I swapped out refined flour and sugar for chickpeas and almond flour, then I swapped out refined sugar for raw unfiltered honey (you can use agave or stevia if you are vegan.) I personally love the taste of Ghee, so that’s the fat I used. But for the vegans, fear not! You can use cacao butter.
Chickpea Milk Bar Truffles (Gluten-Free)
- Food processor
- 1/2 cup chickpeas
- 1/4 cup chickpea water from the can
- 1 1/4 cup almond flour super fine
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup gluten-free rainbow sprinkles
- 3 tbsp raw unfiltered honey agave or stevia for vegans
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp almond flour
- 2 tbsp gluten-free rainbow sprinkles
- 1 1/2 tbsp ghee cacao butter for vegans
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. In a bowl, combine almond flour, salt, baking powder and mix together.
- In a food processor (keep the canned chickpea water) and blend 1/2 cup chickpeas with 1/4 cup of the chickpea water.
- In the bowl with your flour mixture, add the blended chickpeas, vanilla extract, raw honey and sprinkles.
- Put the mixture in a greased cake pan and bake for 12-14 mins. Inside should still be fudge-y from the chickpeas. Let it cool!
- Crumble up the cake and add your ghee. (If using cocoa butter: melt your cocoa butter down then let it cool so it comes to a spread-like consistency. Takes just a few minutes in the freezer). With your hands form the mixture into balls.
- In a bowl, combine 2 tbsp super fine almond flour and 2 tbsp sprinkles. Coat your balls with in this mixture and chill in the fridge for 30 mins. Enjoy!